So, as I was saying in the previous post: If you’re entertaining and you want to impress, serve something no one knows for sure how to pronounce properly and they’ll think you’re the epitome of culinary sophistication. Case in point — affogato.
Affogato is ice cream drowned in coffee. Literally. Affogato is the Italian word for drowned.
And how is this dessert made? You put scoops of ice cream in a glass, you pour in hot espresso (strong brewed coffee is fine) and you serve it. If the amount of coffee is generous, it will likely melt the ice cream and you can serve the affogato as a beverage. If there is very little coffee in proportion to the ice cream, the ice cream will soften but not melt right away — in short, it can be served as a dessert that requires the use of a spoon.
If you can get your hands on Italian gelato (denser than ice cream), the better. If not, good quality ice cream will do. Use a flavor that will go well with coffee. Remember that you are serving the ice cream and coffee in the same glass so the ice cream flavor shouldn’t clash with the flavor of the coffee.
So, what ice cream flavors are good for making affogato? Think of all the overpriced flavored coffees you’ve ever had in those trendy coffee shops. Vanilla, almond, hazelnut, cinnamon, caramel… Or even a combination of one or more of these. After all, your affogato can have more than one scoop of ice cream.
Affogato: ice cream drowned in coffeePrint Pin
- 2 to 4 scoops ice cream (I used vanilla)
- 1/2 cup espresso or strong brewed coffee freshly made
- toasted nuts optional
- dark chocolate chips optional
- How large or small the scoops of ice cream should be depends on the size of your serving glass. Remember that you will be pouring in coffee over the ice cream so don't pack the glasses with too much ice cream.
- Place one to two scoops of ice cream in a glass.
- Pour in a quarter cup of coffee.
- Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips. Purely optional but they do add an interesting texture to the affogato.
- Repeat with the remaining ice cream and coffee.
- Serve immediately.