Pizza is a great party dish. It’s a crowd pleaser, it’s not fussy to eat and it evokes an atmosphere that is both friendly and relaxing. While it is easy to have pizza delivered to your doorstep, personally, it’s an option I no longer consider feasible. About five years ago on Sam’s birthday, we had unexpected guests and we ordered pizza. To our utter embarrassment, the pizza delivery was two hours late. Good thing that our guests were very good friends who wouldn’t have raised eyebrows nor said anything annoying. And they were unexpected guests, after all. Still, it was a very vexing experience.
That doesn’t mean, of course, that I’ve given up on the idea of serving pizza to guests. And while I’d prefer to serve made-from-scratch pizza, I am aware that I am not capable of making enough pizzas for a group larger than my family. So, if I were to serve pizza at a party, I’d pass on the homemade crust. A bread crust is a good idea but puff pastry is much, much better.
Recipe: 2-cheese pizza with puff pastry crust
- 12 six-inch squares of puff pastry (see the puff pastry post)
- 1/4 c. of olive oil (no, not extra virgin)
- 1 and 1/2 c. of tomato sauce, preferably homemade
- 3/4 c. of chopped onion
- 1 c. of crumbled cream cheese
- 1 c. of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 c. of chopped cooked ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami or other cured salty meat or sausage
- chopped basil
- Preheat the oven to 475F.
- Take a square of puff pasty and lay flat. Fold in about half an inch of the edges of all four sides of the puff pastry to create ridges to prevent the sauce and toppings from sliding off during baking. Press to prevent the folds from opening.
- Repeat for the rest of the puff pastry squares.
- Arrange the prepared puff pastry crusts on a baking tray.
- Brush each of the squares generously with olive oil.
- Spread with tomato sauce without going over the ridges.
- Spread the chopped onion on top of the sauce followed by the cream cheese, meat and mozzarella.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and, finally, the basil.
- Bake at 475F for 12 to 15 minutes or until the puff pastry crusts are nicely browned and the cheeses are melted and bubbly.
- Serve at once.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12