Like most Asian stir fries, the preparation time for this mushroom and vegetable rice bowl is twice as long as the cooking time. Prep time is 10 minutes (shorter if you’re a fast worker); cook time is 5 minutes.
Really? Ready in 15 minutes? Yep. In fact, if you start cooking your rice before you begin prepping the mushrooms and vegetables, they will be ready at about the same time. Isn’t that swell? You can have this mushroom and vegetable rice bowl meal for breakfast or dinner even on very busy days!
About the shimeji… It is not a must for this dish. It just so happened that shimeji was the only fresh mushroom we had the day I cooked this. You may substitute shiitake, oyster mushrooms or even black fungus or wood ears.
And, yes, in case you’re wondering, you may even use dried mushrooms. Note, however, that you have to factor in the soaking time of the dried mushrooms.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ¼ cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon patis (fish sauce)
- 1 cup shimeji mushrooms root ends cut off and discarded
- ¼ cup julienned carrot
- ¼ cup julienned bell pepper
- 2 to 4 stalks bok choy cut into one-inch lengths (separate the leafy portions from the lower stalks)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon kalamansi juice or lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup mung bean sprouts
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Sauce the onion, ginger and garlic until aromatic.
- Add the mushrooms and carrot. Turn up the heat and stir fry for about 10 seconds.
- Add the bell pepper and stalks of the bok choy. Drizzle in the fish sauce. Stir fry for another 20 seconds.
- Add the soy sauce, kalamansi juice and sugar. Stir a few times.
- Add the mung bean sprouts and bok choy leaves. Stir fry for another 15 to 20 seconds.
- Taste. Add more fish sauce, soy sauce, kalamansi juice or sugar, depending on your preference.
- Serve the mushroom and vegetable stir fry over hot rice.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.