Last night, I cooked three dishes at the same time, all of which were packed and brought to the condo for the girls to reheat during the week. I had chicken and pork ribs marinating in the fridge for two days and they went into the turbo broiler. Since they would take over half an hour to cook, I thought I’d use that time to make the third dish. You know, time saving strategy.
I thought — pasta. Alex loves pasta. Her favorite is spaghetti with tomato cream sauce. Sam prefers white sauce and her favorite is carbonara. Since I only had time to cook one pasta dish, it had to be something they’d both like. I thought about the mac and cheese with pimiento that I cooked long ago then my mind wandered to the cheese pimiento spread in the fridge. And I wondered…
I’ll shorten the story. Instead of grating cheese, I dumped chunks of the still chilled cheese pimiento spread into the pan. Why not? When I make mac and cheese, I toss the pasta in butter, cook the pasta in cream and cheese until the cheese is all gooey… The ingredients of the cheese pimiento spread all go into mac and cheese so using the cheese pimiento spread was simply a short cut.
Fantastic result. That’s me twirling the spaghetti from the pan to taste it. I should have made more. Apart from that portion suspended from the fork, I packed all the pasta for the girls, dividing it evenly between them. Ah, well, since it’s so easy to prepare, there’s no reason why I can’t make another batch for Speedy and myself soon.
10-minute spaghetti with bacon, cheese and pimientoPrint Pin
- Cook the pasta in boiling water.
- While the pasta cooks, thinly slice the bacon.
- Heat a pan. Add the bacon. Cook until lightly browned.
- Drain the pasta. Add to the bacon in the pan. Toss to coat each strand with bacon fat.
- Pour in the milk or cream. Add the cheese pimiento spread in spoonfuls.
- Cook over medium-low heat, tossing often, until the cheese pimiento spread is melted.
- Add salt and pepper. Throw in the parsley. Toss a couple of times more and it’s done.
P.S. Actually, I ended up cooking four dishes, the fourth being eggplant omelets which Sam made me promise I’d cook and pack for her.