It’s Immaculate Concepcion Day, a holiday for many schools, including Alex’s which is not even a Catholic school. Go figure. Anyway, it means no one got up early and there wasn’t much time to prepare lunch. I thawed a pack of beef and by the time the ice had melted, I had about 15 minutes to turn it into a cooked dish.
This beef, asparagus and corn stir fry requires a preparation time of five minutes and another five minutes to cook. No kidding. If it weren’t for the photo op, I probably would have finished the dish in eight minutes.
How can this dish cook that fast?
First, you have to use a good cut of beef. Tenderloin, sirloin, top round, bottom round, eye round… any of these will work. Stewing beef won’t do.
If you’re using the right cut of beef, you cook it just long enough for the meat to change color. Overcooking beef makes the meat tough and rubbery.
Baby asparagus cooks in a minute.
Canned corn kernels are already cooked. So, you’re just heating them through.
With everything already in the pan, add the last of the seasonings, stir and once every piece of meat and vegetable is coated with sauce, you’re done!
- 200 grams thinly sliced beef (I used top round), cut into strips
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 150 grams baby asparagus cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup drained corn kernels
- 2 to 3 tablespoons light soy sauce (I used Kikkoman)
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable cooking oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- drizzle of sesame seed oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan. Add the beef and cook over high heat, stirring to separate the strips, until the beef changes color.
- Add the sliced onion and chopped garlic. Pour in the soy sauce. Sprinkle with black pepper. Stir. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Throw in the asparagus. Stir and cook for about a minute.
- Add the corn kernels. Stir. Cook for 30 seconds or until the corn is heated through.
- Pour in the oyster sauce. Stir to blend.
- Turn off the heat. Drizzle the sesame seed oil and stir.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.