Our favorite Buddhist food store in Manila (Palomi at the corner of San Marcelino and Quirino) sells mock chicken nuggets made from soya. They are really delicious. Speedy bought a pack for Sam but when Sam was in the condo, we sometimes filched a few pieces and snacked on them. Low sodium, low fat, cholesterol free and GMO-free — how does snacking get better than that? In short, the pack of vegetarian “chicken nuggets” didn’t last very long. This was the last dish I cooked with the nuggets.
To explain the photo, I made two versions of a stir fry with chicharo (snow peas), carrot slices and pineapple tidbits in sweetened Sriracha sauce. One version (foreground) had the vegetarian “chicken nuggets” while the other (in the background) contained pork. That’s how life goes at Casa Veneracion on weekends. Everyone has to be feed according to his or her beliefs. Vegetarian meals for vegetarian Sam; meaty dishes for the omnivorous others. The recipe below is for the vegetarian stir fry. If you can’t get your hands on vegetarian “chicken nuggets,” fried firm tofu is a good substitute.
Recipe: Vegetarian “chicken nuggets”, snow peas and pineapple tidbits in sweet Sriracha sauce
- 8 to 12 pieces of vegetarian “chicken nuggets”
- 2 tbsps. of cooking oil
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 c. of trimmed snow peas (see how)
- 1/2 c. of pineapple tidbits with the juice (I used canned)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. of grated ginger
- salt, to taste
- 2 to 3 tbsps. of Sriracha (or your preferred chili sauce)
- 2 to 3 tbsps. of honey
- 1 to 2 tbsps. of kalamansi (or lemon) juice
- Heat a non-stick pan. No oil. Cook the vegetarian “chicken nuggets” until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Reheat the pan. Pour in the cooking oil. Stir fry the carrot slices and snow peas for about 30 seconds. Add the pineapple tidbits, onion, garlic and ginger. Sprinkle with salt. Stir fry until the vegetables are done, about a minute or two.
- Add the vegetarian “chicken nuggets” to the pan.
- Pour in the Sriracha, honey and kalamansi (or lemon) juice. Stir. Cook just until the sauce is bubbly.
- That’s it. It’s done. Enjoy. It’s delicious.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2