A couple of weekends ago, I simmered a whole chicken to make chicken pot pie. Because Sam is vegetarian, I had to make a separate pot pie for her. How? I cooked the vegetables in a little salted water, set aside a portion for Sam and added the shredded chicken to the rest. Presto! Filling for chicken pot and filling for a vegetables-only pot pie. I used a 12-inch pie dish for the chicken pot pie and a single-serve ramekin for the vegetarian version. Thinking ahead does save a lot of time and work. I baked them together but I took out the smaller pie about five minutes ahead of the bigger one. That’s more energy efficient than baking them separately.
The following recipe is for the vegetable pot pie. You can always convert it into the chicken version by adding shredded chicken and more yogurt.
Recipe: Vegetable pot pie
- a pinch of softened butter for greasing
- 1/2 recipe for basic pie crust
- 1 c. of diced vegetables (I used carrot, cauliflower, potato, celery and bell pepper), cooked in a little salted water until tender but not mushy
- 1/2 c. of plain yogurt
- chopped herbs (I used tarragon and parsley)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. of cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp. of beaten egg
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Lightly butter the bottom and side of a single-serve ramekin.
- Roll out the pie crust dough and cut into two circles — one should be large enough to line the inside of the ramekin; the other, a little wider than the diameter of the ramekin.
- Take the bigger circle of dough and fit inside the ramekin.
- Mix together the vegetables, yogurt and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the filling into the crust-lined ramekin. Sprinkle the pieces of cold butter on top.
- Cover the ramekin with the smaller circle of crust. Tuck or just press against the sides to seal.
- Pierce the top crust with a fork in several places to create steam vents.
- Blush the top crust with beaten egg.
- Bake at 375F for 25 to 35 minutes or until the top crust is lightly browned.
- Serve hot.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1