It’s meatless but it’s filling. You can enjoy it with rice or just by itself. Fried cubes of firm tofu and chunks of shiitake mushrooms drizzled with homemade teriyaki sauce. Speedy and I had this for lunch a while back, I was so busy cleaning up the blog’s database that I forgot to write about it.
It’s not traditional Japanese. If I were a celebrity chef, it would be labeled as fusion. But since I’m just a hamak na nanay na kusinera, the snoots are like to call it a bastardized dish. Whatever. It’s delicious.
The best way to do this dish is to cook everything simultaneously. While the sauce boils, you prep the mushrooms and tofu. You cook the mushrooms and tofu at about the same time… That way, everything is done at about the same time and they are all hot by the time you assemble the dish.
Please don’t ask what you can substitute for sake and mirin. Teriyaki sauce tastes, looks and smells the way it does because it is made with sake and mirin.
Recipe: Tofu and mushrooms teriyaki
- 1 cake of firm tofu, about 300 g.
- 1 c. of vegetable oil
- 6 large shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 c. of light soy sauce
- 1/4 c. of mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/4 c. of sake
- 2 tbsps. of sugar
- 1 tsp. of grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp. of sesame seed oil
- sliced scallions, to garnish
- Heat about four cups of water with the 1 tsp. of salt.
- Start heating the vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan.
- In a small pan, heat together the soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar and ginger. Cook over medium heat for three to five minutes or just until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, while the sauce cooks and while waiting for the water to boil and the oil to heat up, cut the tofu into 1 and 1/2 inch cubes.
- Cut the mushroom caps into fairly think slices or you can just halve or quarter them, whatever suits your fancy.
- When the water boils, blanch the mushrooms for about two minutes. Scoop out and set aside.
- When the oil is hot, fry the tofu cubes until golden. Scoop out and drain on paper towels.
- Toss the mushrooms and tofu together.
- Stir the sesame oil into the teriyaki sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu and mushrooms.
- Garnish with sliced scallions and serve right away.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2