Tocino and Chinese sausage fried rice
One of the most popular Filipino breakfast dishes meets its Chinese counterpart. Chinese-style fried rice, of which chopped sausage is a common ingredient, is cooked with the Filipino combination of tocino and egg. One pan to cook everything in means less washing. Own bowl to serve an entire dish with means even less washing. Pretty darn marvelous. Win-win every which way.
That simple? Surely, there’s a catch somewhere? No, no catch. There is a tip though. Tocino can be cloying. All that sugar. We dip our tocino in vinegar with crushed chilies and garlic to balance the sweetness. To get the same flavors in this fried rice dish, I added spicy vinegar to the tocino during cooking. You’ll be amazed at what a little vinegar can do.
Recipe: Tocino and Chinese sausage fried rice
- 2 tbsps. of cooking oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100 g. of tocino (fatless or not, your choice), cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 tbsps. of spicy vinegar (the kind with whole chilies in the bottle), or regular vinegar plus a generous dash of hot sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 to 2 Chinese sausages, halved lengthwise then thinly sliced
- 2 c. of day-old rice
- 2 tbsps. of snipped scallions
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and cook just until set. Lift with a spatula and transfer to a chopping board. Roll and slice thinly.
- Into the remaining hot oil, add the tocino. Cook over medium heat until the meat loses its raw appearance.
- Pour in the vinegar. Sprinkle in some salt. The tocino will expel liquid (the marinade, mostly) which, together with the vinegar, should evaporate by the time the tocino is done. If the tocino pieces are small enough, it should take only about eight minutes to cook them.
- Add the sliced Chinese sausages to the pan. Cook for another minute, stirring often, which should be just enough time to brown both the tocino and the Chinese sausage slices.
- Add the rice to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the rice is heated through.
- Off the fire, toss in the sliced eggs and scallions. Taste, add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve at once.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 12 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2