Whenever she goes marketing with us, Sam asks if we could buy watermelon. If we have space in the fridge, I say yes. If not, I say next time. She wasn’t with us at the supermarket last weekend but there were seedless watermelons galore and we did have space in the fridge for a whole watermelon. So, I asked Speedy to pick one for her. We had some of the watermelon for dinner on Sunday, I packed some for Sam to bring to the condo and what was left became this cocktail drink.
From the minute I started cutting the watermelon, Chris de Burgh’s “The Lady In Red” was playing inside my head. No wonder I chose those shapely whistle-bait glasses in which to serve my watermelon and coconut rum cocktail. But it isn’t just the sexy look that makes this cocktail drink a stunner — it’s the refreshing flavors too!
- ½ watermelon (seedless, please!)
- ¼ c. of simple syrup (or, to taste)
- juice of one lemon
- 3 generous splashes of coconut rum
- a small bunch of fresh mint leaves
- ice cubes, to serve
- Scoop out the watermelon flesh and dice (you may want to reserve a few slices for garnish).
- Put the watermelon in the blender. Puree.
- Strain the puree.
- Pour back the strained watermelon juice into the blender. Add the simple syrup, lemon juice, coconut rum and mint leaves. Pulse a few times to mix and chop the mint leaves.
- Put ice cubes into glasses and pour in the mixed cocktail drink.