Recipe: Turkey “steaks” with creamy mushroom gravy
8 slices of turkey meat (used breast meat), about 1/4 inch thick
1/3 c. of butter
2 tbsps. of flour
1 can of mushrooms (I used straw mushrooms), drained
1 to 1-1/2 c. of turkey broth or mushroom water or a mixture of the two
freshly ground pepper
1/2 c. of cream
- Heat two tablespoonfuls of butter in a frying pan. Quickly pan-fry the turkey slices just until lightly browned. Arrange the browned turkey on a serving platter.
Cook the mushrooms in the remaining butter just until heated through. Scatter the mushrooms on top of the turkey.
Add the remaining butter to the pan. Dump the flour all at once, stirring to prevent lumps from forming. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about five minutes or until the mixture is golden brown.
Pour in the broth (or mushroom water) in a thin stream, stirring as you pour. Cook the gravy until smooth and thickened (use more or less liquid for the consistency that you prefer). Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat. Pour in the cream. Stir the gravy once so that trails of cream remain distinct.
Pour the gravy over the turkey and mushrooms. Serve at once.
Cooking time (duration): 15 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4
More leftover turkey recipes:
- What to do with holiday leftovers: make a pie, a soup and Oriental fried rice
- Lasagna with leftover turkey and duck meat
- Turkey fried rice and turkey paksiw
- Turkey, duck and potato bake
- Turkey, potato and walnut salad