I never liked milk in my tea. I always felt that the milk drowned out the delicate flavors of the tea. It wasn’t until Alex developed an affinity for milk tea and learned how to prepare it at home that I slowly got over my aversion for milk in my tea. So much so that I’ve gone farther and tried my hand at making tea milkshake.
Yes, it is a tea milkshake made with brewed tea, brewed tisane, milk, sugar and maraschino cherries. Sweet with a slight tang from the tisane and silky smooth without the very rich texture of a real fruit milkshake. So, so good. So very easy to prepare.
So, what does one need to make tea milkshake?
Tea, of course. We like loose leaf tea at home.
Alex asked a friend to hand carry a pack of green tea from China, and another friend to buy her a pack of jasmine tea from Singapore, and they’re what we’ve been enjoying at home.
If you don’t have loose leaf tea, you can substitute tea in tea bags.
You will also need tisane. They’re sold in the grocery as “tea” but they’re not real tea because there is no tea in the tea bags. Instead, there are dried fruit peels and dried seeds and, sometimes, barks of fruit trees.
For this recipe, I used strawberry and mango tisane.
You will also need milk and maraschino cherries.
And sugar and ice cubes.
And a blender.
Recipe: Tea milkshake
- 2 bags of strawberry and mango tisane
- three generous pinches of green tea leaves (or two bags of green tea)
- 3 tbsps. of sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tbsps. of maraschino cherry syrup (yes, from the jar!)
- 1 c. of cold milk (I used low fat but you can always use full fat)
- 6 maraschino cherries, stems removed
- 6 ice cubes
- Boil a cup of water.
- Place the tisane bags in a cup.
- Place the green tea leaves (or bags) in another cup.
- Pour half a cup of hot water into each cup. Allow to steep for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tisane bags from the cup. Press to get all the fruity goodness into the cup.
- Strain the tea. Again, pressing the tea leaves (or bags) to get all the flavors.
- Stir together the two brews and chill in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Pour the mixed brew into the blender. Add the sugar and maraschino cherry syrup. Pulse a couple of times to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour in the milk. Pulse two times just to blend.
- Add the cherries. Pulse a couple of times more to break up the cherries but NOT liquefy them. Do not overprocess. The bits of cherries in the milkshake is a good, goooood thing.
- Yes, like so.
- Divide the ice cubes between two sexy glasses. Pour in the milkshake.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s), excluding steeping time
Number of servings (yield): 2