Summer heat buster: strawberry lemonade with kaffir lime syrup
It’s the time of the year when that unconscionable power monopolizer Meralco will be raking in so much money again. The heat is upon us, air-conditioners are on full blast and, between mid-morning and dinner time, my body craves for ice cold drinks. For this warm afternoon, a bright, fresh and invigorating summer drink made with strawberries, kalamansi juice, kaffir lime leaf-infused simple syrup and spearmint leaves fresh from the garden.
Kaffir lime syrup? Yes, there is even a story behind it.
A couple of weeks ago, I met up with girl friends from law school and I brought a bottle of homemade margarita mix. If you’ve mixed margarita from scratch before, you’d know that it’s really nothing more than fresh citrus juice and simple syrup. Simple syrup is just equal amounts of water and sugar boiled together until the sugar dissolves.
But when I make simple syrup, I infuse it with aromatics. I’ve added lemongrass and citrus zest in the past but, for the margarita, I used kaffir lime leaves. And I added them from the very start when I boiled the sugar and water together. I didn’t use up all the kaffir lime leaf-infused simple syrup for the the margarita though. What was left, I poured into a jar and kept in the fridge. Two weeks later, it was a dozen time times more deliciously aromatic than it was the day I made it. That was what I used to mix this strawberry lemonade.
Recipe: Strawberry lemonade with kaffir lime syrup
Because some strawberries are sweeter than others, consider the amount of simple syrup and lemon juice as a guide. You may need to make adjustments to get the perfect blend between tartness and sweetness that is most agreeable to your palate.
- 1 c. of hulled and halved strawberries
- about 4 tbsps. of lemon juice (I used kalamansi, the local version of lemon)
- about 1/4 c. of simple syrup (the instructions for making kaffir lime syrup has been outlined above)
- 2 c. of soda water (available in grocery stores)
- a handful of fresh mint leaves (I used spearmint)
- Pour the soda water into the blender. Add the strawberries, lemon juice and simple syrup. Process until smooth.
- Tear up the mint leaves and throw into the blender. Pulse a couple of time just to bruise them.
- Drop ice into glasses and pour in the strawberry lemonade.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 3 to 4