If you use a premium cut of beef (eg., tenderloin, sirloin, top round or bottom round), cooking this stir fried dish should take no more than five minutes. With a preparation time of about ten minutes, dinner would be ready in 15 minutes flat.
If, however, you find premium beef cuts to be too pricey, there’s a trick for that. Pressure-cook the beef without cutting, chill, slice then stir fry as you would slices of a premium cut of beef.
A tip: If using precooked tougher cut of meat, make sure you chill it well before slicing so that the meat does not fall apart while being cut.
Another tip: This is a stir fried dish so it might be good to read stir frying basics first.
Recipe: Stir fried beef with celery and ginger
- 200 g. of beef (300 g. if using a tougher cut to make allowance for shrinkage), very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. of soy sauce
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- 3 tbsps. of cooking oil
- about 4 celery stalks, cut on the bias to about 1/4-inch thickness
- a thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. of soy sauce
- 2 tbsps. of honey
- 1/3 c. of broth
- 1 tsp. of tapioca starch (corn starch will work too)
- a drizzle of sesame seed oil
- Place the beef (raw premium cut or precooked tougher cut) in a bowl. Add the 1 tbsp. of soy sauce and 1 tsp. of sugar. Mix well.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of cooking oil in a wok. Stir fry the celery and ginger for about a minute. The celery should soften a little but should still be crisp at the center. Scoop out and transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsps. of cooking oil to the wok and heat. Stir fry the beef for about thirty seconds or just until glistening with oil. If using raw premium cut of beef, cook just until the meat changes color. You will cook the meat with the sauce later so don’t cook the meat through at this point. Scoop out the beef and transfer to another plate.
- Mix together the tablespoonful of soy sauce, honey, broth and tapioca starch. Reheat the pan, pour in the sauce mixture and cook, stirring, just until thickened. Add the beef and vegetables to the sauce, cook for another minute, stirring often.
- Turn off the heat. Drizzle in the sesame seed oil. Toss a few more times. Serve hot.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2