I debated for an hour on how I should post this recipe. Squash, in the Philippines, is kalabasa and there is only one kind — squat and round. I’m not sure what the English name is for that variety but, having described it as squat and round, I think I have sufficiently identified the squash that I used for this recipe.
This is a very simple dish to prepare. The only real effort is grating the zucchini and the squash. After that, it’s really just mixing and frying.
Now, about the frying. Butter is really, really good for making these fritters. It adds a richness that vegetable oil can never impart. But since butter burns fast, I used an equal amount of butter and vegetable cooking oil. Less flavorful but less the risk of burned fritters too.
Based on a recipe from Aggie’s Kitchen.
Recipe: Squash and zucchini fritters
- 1 c. of grated zucchini
- 1 and 1/2 to 2 c. of grated squash
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp. of dried thyme
- a pinch of grated garlic
- 1/4 c. of bread crumbs (I used panko)
- vegetable oil and butter, for frying
- Squeeze the grated squash and zucchini to remove excess water. This will prevent the fritters from turning soggy. The best way to do this is to place the grated vegetables in a piece of cheesecloth and wringing the cheesecloth much like you’d wring a piece of clothing during laundry. If you don’t have cheesecloth, just take the grated vegetables in fistfuls and squeeze in batches.
- Place the squeezed vegetables in a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients except the vegetable cooking oil and butter.
- Heat 2 tbsps. of cooking oil and 2 tbsps. of butter.
- Form the zucchini and squash mixture into patties and fry, about two pieces at a time unless you’re using a very large frying pan.
- Flip when the underside is nicely browned and crisp, about three minutes. Cook the opposite side until browned and crisp as well.
- Add more vegetable oil and butter to the pan and cook the next batch, and so on, until all the zucchini and squash mixture has been cooked. How many batches and pieces? I made five but they were on the large side.
- I couldn’t decide what to top the fritters with so I just squeezed some mayo on top.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 12 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2