If I knew who invented or discovered cheese, I’d write an ode to him or her. But cheese is older than recorded history and whoever made the first cheese is unknown. So there goes my ode.
Everyone in my family loves cheese. Vegetarian Sam will never be a vegan because she will not give up eating cheese. Cheese is just too delicious. And gooey melty cheese… If I were a proponent of food porn, I’d say that photos of melting cheese has got to be among the most visceral of food images.
It isn’t surprising, therefore, that cheese was at the forefront of our Christmas Eve dinner. We had twice baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese stuffing, and we had this bowl of salty creamy delight bursting with flavors of herbs and spices. This cream cheese mixture is great as a dip or a spread.
Recipe: Spicy cream cheese dip (or spread)
- 250 g. of cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 bird’s eye chili, chopped
- 2 tbsps. of finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 2 tbsps. of finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 tsp. of finely chopped mint
- 2 tbsps. of finely chopped roasted and skinned bell pepper
- a dash of lime juice
- finely grated zest of one lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, whip the cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients, except the salt and pepper.
- Add salt and pepper little by little, tasting as you go along.
- Leave for at least 30 minutes at room temperature to allow the flavors to develop.
- Serve with thinly sliced toasted bread, break sticks or crackers.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1 and 1/4 cups