Slow cooker recipe: Bacon, cheese and potato casserole
Still experimenting with alternative methods of cooking, after using the pressure cooker for a couple of recipes, I now turn to my slow cooker. It’s probably not the most energy efficient cooking method but the convenience of being able to leave the dish to cook by itself for hours and hours — no stirring nor peeking necessary — is a huge thing for me because there is no need to shuffle between my desk and the kitchen every so often. Speedy gave me the slow cooker for my birthday last year but I’ve only used it a few times. The first time was a disaster when I cooked kaldereta and the beef came out falling-apart-tender yet surprisingly dry. The second time, I made pata tim (braised pork hock), it turned out okay though nothing spectacular. So, you know, I kinda lost interest in the slow cooker.
Then, since discovering Pinterest, I’ve come across so many interesting slow cooker recipes. I’ve bookmarked two so far and I cooked the first one last night.
This would make a lovely brunch dish but, in my family, what’s good for brunch or breakfast is good any time of the day. I made this last night after Sam texted me that she would be coming home after all after their own-of-town photo shoot was cut short. But, a couple of hours later, plans changed again and, to make a long story short, I had this huge casserole and no one to eat it except Speedy and myself. And we did, somewhere around midnight while watching Quentin Tarantino’s From Dusk ‘Till Dawn (yes, the vampire movie where Salma Hayek did her sexy snake dance). But I packed half of the lot in two portions — I’m sending them to the condo for the girls. It’s a dish that will reheat wonderfully.
Based on a recipe from Moms with Crockpots.
Recipe: Slow-cooked bacon, cheese and potato casserole
- 500 g. of potatoes, thinly sliced (about 1/4 inch or thinner)
- 150 g. of belly bacon, thinly sliced
- 200 g. of your favorite cheese, crumbled
- 3 tbsps. of butter, melted
- salt and pepper
- snipped parsley, to garnish
- Brush the bottom of the slow cooker with 1 tbsp. of butter.
- Divide the sliced potatoes, bacon and cheese into three portions.
- Take one portion of potatoes and arrange neatly at the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. How much salt depends on your taste and how salty your cheese is.
- Sprinkle one-third of the bacon on top of the potatoes followed by one-third of the cheese. Drizzle with 1 tbsp. of butter.
- Repeat the process two more times…
- … so that you have three layers of potatoes, bacon, cheese and butter.
- Turn the cooker to high and cook for one hour. Reduce the temperature to low and cook for another two hours.
- Depending on how fatty your cheese and bacon are, you might see more fat than the three tablespoons of butter that you used.
- Uncover the cooker for about 10 minutes then scoop out the potatoes, bacon and cheese onto a plate or shallow bowl.
- Sprinkle with snipped parsley and serve warm with bread.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 3 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4