Slow-cooked herbed chicken
Make a dry rub by mixing together herbs, spices and seasonings. Rub on the chicken, inside and out, then cook the chicken in the slow cooker for five and a half hours. The result is the tastiest and juiciest chicken ever.
There is no strict formula — you can add or subtract to the dry rub ingredients as you please. You can use any size of chicken so long as it fits snugly in your slow cooker.
The only thing that is absolutely required is patience. The chicken has to sit in the fridge for at least a day after the dry rub is massaged all over it. And then, there’s the slow cooking which, in the case of a chicken weighing 1.1 kilograms, took five and a half hours.
If you can exercise patience, you will be very, very well rewarded.
Recipe: Slow-cooked herbed chicken
- 1 whole uncut chicken, about 1.1 kg.
- 2 tsps. of Kosher salt (see notes below)
- 1/2 tsp. of black pepper
- 2 tbsps. of finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp. of finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. of sugar (I used brown for better color)
- 1 tsp. of chili flakes
- 2 tbsp. of dried rosemary (again, see notes below)
- 2 tbsp. of dried parsley
- 1 tsp. of dried sage
- 1 tsp. of dried thyme
- Rinse the chicken and pet dry inside and out with a kitchen towel. Place in a bowl.
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients to make a dry rub.
- Take one-third of the dry rub and spoon into the chicken’s cavity. Using your fingers, massage every nook and cranny of the cavity with the mixture.
- Spread the rest of the dry rub on the outside of the chicken and massage well, paying attention under the legs and wings.
- Cover the bowl and let sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
- Line the bottom of the slow cooker with a large square piece of foil. The foil will make it easy to lift out the entire chicken when it is done without breaking it.
- Brush the foil with a little olive oil to make sure that the chicken does not stick to the foil during cooking.
- Lower the chicken into the cooker, breast side up. If there is any liquid in the bowl in which the chicken marinated, pour it into the cooker.
- Cover the cooker and cook the chicken on HIGH for two hours. Switch to LOW and cook for another three-and-a-half hours.
- Uncover the slow cooker and cool the chicken for about 10 minutes before taking out.
- Serve the chicken with rice or bread.
If using refined salt, you’ll need less than 2 tsps. If using rock salt, you’ll need more than 2 tsps.
If using fresh herbs, you’ll need twice as much.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 3 to 4