Alex‘s shrimps with sweet mangoes and pineapple whet our appetite in a bittersweet way. As we enjoyed every succulent morsel, we were reminded at the same time that as we say goodbye to summer, we bid farewell too to the sweetest and juiciest mangoes. Yes, they will still be available when summer is over but they will not be as sweet.
Meanwhile, we’re never without mangoes at home and we integrate them with our meals in the usual and some not so usual ways. We make smoothies and we create desserts with mangoes. And, yes, we add mangoes to savory dishes too.
Choose the sweetest mangoes that you can find to cook shrimps with mangoes and pineapple. It’s the only way to truly savor the flavors of this dish.
- 12 to 15 shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon kalamansi (or lemon or lime) juice
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- a generous pinch of dried thyme
- ½ cup cubed mangoes
- ½ cup pineapple tidbits
- fish sauce, to taste
- a tiny splash of rice vinegar
- a generous pinch of sugar
- Place the shrimps in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour in the kalamansi and pineapple juices. Toss. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic and thyme. Saute until fragrant.
- Drain the shrimps and add to the pan. Cook for about 30 seconds per side.
- Add the marinade, mango cubes and pineapple tidbits.
- Season with fish sauce, rice vinegar and sugar.
- Allow everything to cook for a minute or two to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve the shrimps with sweet mangoes and pineapple immediately.
- Serving suggestion: Place rice on bowls. Top with the shrimps with sweet mangoes and pineapple. Drizzle in some of the pan juices. Sprinkle with parsley.
More on mangoes
Chickpeas salad with fresh mango
Grilled pork, pepper and mango stir fry with peanut sauce
Mixed vegetables in coconut milk with semi-ripe mangoes
Fried whole fish with mango-kalamansi-honey sauce
Sago (tapioca pearls) and mango dessert