You like cupcakes and you like them with frosting but you feel you don’t have the time, the patience or the skill to create beautifully frosted cupcakes. The answer? Self-frosting Nutella cupcakes. The ones I made were based on a recipe from Baking Bites.
What is Nutella? It’s a hazelnut and chocolate spread. Kinda pricey because it’s imported and but I’ve tried this recipe using other brands of chocolate spread and they just didn’t work. In one case, the chocolate spread sank into the cupcake batter. In another experiment, the oil in the chocolate spread separated from the solids and ruined the cupcakes completely.
Can the same technique be used using plain melted chocolate? I did that once but the chocolate hardened as it cooled. The cupcakes were great while warm but not after they had cooled.
Now, how to make these self-frosting Nutella cupcakes.
The following ingredients will yield 9 large or 12 medium-sized cupcakes. It all depends on the size of you pan.
- 140 g. of butter (that’s a little less than ⅔ cup), softened to room temperature
- ¾ c. white sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp. of vanilla
- 1-3/4 c. of all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tsps. baking powder
- 9-12 (depending on the size of your cupcake pan) heaping tsps. of Nutella
- First, you need to have all your ingredients at room temperature, including the eggs and the Nutella.
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Place the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl. With a wire whisk or a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together. Just keep beating until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture and mix. The mixture may appear lumpy at first but keep right on mixing until you have a smooth batter. Note that the batter will be heavy and hardly pourable. Stir in the vanilla.
- Meanwhile, line the muffin pan with paper cups. Use an ice cream scoop (very practical) to fill the pans until about ¾ full.
- Top with a heaping teaspoonful of Nutella. Take a toothpick, dip into the unbaked cupcake until the tip hits the bottom of the pan.
- Using a scooping motion, swirl the Nutella with the batter so that some of the batter comes up on top of the Nutella.
- Bake in a preheated 325F oven for exactly 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or cooled.