Everyone in my family has cough and cold. I thought it was plain exhaustion. The girls were having their final exams at around the same time that my mother passed away, then they moved to another unit in the same condo, there was a lot to do and, well, you add the usual skirmishes that are part of any family dynamics and I thought that everyone was just physically tired, mentally drained and emotionally depleted. Then I heard friends in other parts of the country — and other parts of Southeast Asia even — have caught the same bug. So, maybe, it’s really just the terrible, terrible weather.
It’s not just the heat. It’s the humidity that’s really such a killer. And, in this situation, the kitchen is not the most relaxing part of the house right now. The irony is that it is the girls’ summer break (finally!) and, for once, it’s going to be a long one — an entire month, actually, unlike the previous years — and, having missed cooking for them all these months, I want to stuff them silly with their favorites. But my body just shuts down when I spend more than an hour in the kitchen to prepare a meal.
So, I keep things simple. Easy dishes. Like this one which was made easier and sweeter because Alex helped me cook it. She’s been helping out a lot with the cooking lately. So, what’s the dish? Crumbled sausage meat is browned, veggies are added, milk is poured in, crumbled cheese is stirred in and, after the cheese melts, cooked pasta is added and tossed with everything.
Recipe: Sausage and milk pasta
- enough cooked pasta for four
- 100 g. of garlicky sausages, casings discarded, and meat crumbled into small chunks
- 1 carrot, cut into half-inch cubes
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c. of frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 1 and 1/2 c. of milk (we used skim milk)
- 1 c. of crumbled cheese (we used cheddar)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a pan and add the sausage meat. Cook over high heat without stirring for a couple of minutes to brown the underside.
- Add the carrot cubes and continue cooking with occasional stirring until the sausage meat is browned in most places.
- Add the peas and chopped onion. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Pour in a cup of milk. Add the cheese and stir. Lower the heat to medium and cook, with occasional stirring, just until the cheese melts. If the sauce appears too thick, stir in the rest of the milk.
- Taste the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce. Toss well.
- Serve the creamy pasta with buttered toast on the side.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4