Salted caramel cheese tart
Cheesecake is not something you can cut and serve straight out of the oven. A cheesecake has to cool slowly and thoroughly, and chilled for best results. It’s the same with this cheese tart which is really a cheese cake baked in a tart pan and with only half the usual amount of cheese and cream mixture. No Graham cracker crust for this dessert. Instead, the crust is made with flour, butter, sugar and chopped nuts. Amazing texture.
But there was no time to chill the thing without torturing everyone. And that’s what it’s like for my family to see something they want to eat but still can’t. The weather is cold enough though (there is a typhoon) to allow the salted caramel cheese tart to cool to room temperature fast. And, in this weather, room temperature is cool enough to dispense with the chilling.
Speedy said the whole tart was his and the girls should ask me to bake something else for them. Of course, the girls disagreed. They weren’t about to give up their share. No, definitely not.
Recipe: Salted caramel cheese tart
For the crust:
- 1 c. of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c. of finely chopped roasted nuts (I used pili nuts)
- 2 tbsps. of sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1/8 of a 250 g. block of cold butter, cut into small cubes
For the filling:
- 250 g. of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 c. of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. of cream
For the topping:
- 1/2 to 3/4 c. of caramel (get recipe)
- coarse salt
How to bake
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, rub together the butter with the flour, nuts, salt and sugar until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Press firmly on the bottom of a 12-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, prepare the filling. Whisk the cream cheese and sugar until light. Mix in the eggs, one at a time. Pour in the cream and mix until smooth.
- Cool the crust for about five minutes. Pour the filling over it. Bake the tart for about 50 minutes.
- Take the tart out of the oven and cool. Chill, if you have the time.
- Release the tart out if the pan and set on a serving platter. Pour enough caramel to cover the top.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Slice and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8