Salmon and Pasta With White Sauce
Alex had been asking for baked salmon with buttered vegetables but we only had a 300-gram or so of salmon fillet and it wouldn’t have been enough to feel all four of us for lunch.
So, I deviated from the baked salmon with buttered vegetables by serving the salmon on a bed of very cheesy pasta with white sauce.
And, as an added precaution, I fried some squid rings too. Just in case the salmon got wolfed down well ahead of the pasta, the girls could toss the squid rings with the pasta.
- 180 g. of pasta (or whatever the amount you usually cook for four), any shape
- 4 tbsps. of butter
- 4 tbsps. of flour
- 1 and ¼ to 1 and ¾ c. of milk (I used non-fat)
- 250 g. of cheddar, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- salmon fillet, 300 to 500 g. in weight
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsps. of butter
- ⅓ c. of cream cheese
- 4 tbsps. of milk
- snipped parsley, to serve
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta cooks, make the white sauce.
- Melt the 4 tbsps. of butter in a pan. Add the flour, all at once, stirring to break up lumps. Cook the mixture over medium heat for three to five minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Pour in the milk, little by little, stirring all the time. Use the minimum amount first; if the sauce is too thick for you, add the rest of the milk. When all the milk is in, turn off the heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Taste, add salt and pepper as needed.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Toss. Set aside and keep warm.
- Cut the salmon into thin slices, about ¼ inch. Arrange slightly overlapping one another (this is for fast cooking). Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat the 2 tbsps. of butter in a frying pan. Using a wide spatula, scoop out the salmon slices in one go and lay on the hot butter. Cook for two minutes over high heat, carefully flip over and cook for another minute.
- Spread the pasta with white sauce on a platter. Arrange the salmon on top.
- Place the cream cheese in a microwavable bowl. Add about 4 tbsps. of milk. Microwave on HIGH for about a minute to soften. Stir. Add snipped parsley, and salt and pepper to taste (chili flakes are great too).
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the salmon. Sprinkle snipped parsley over everything. Serve.