It may look like a pie but it isn’t. These peaches and cream cheese cookie bars have two layers of cookies with peaches and cream cheese in between. Just make a basic butter cookie dough, spread a third on the bottom of a pan, pile the sliced peaches on top, cover with cream cheese then drop the remaining cookie dough by teaspoonfuls on top. Bake and voila!
Very simple to make but, like most of the best things in life, there’s quite a bit of patience required as the baked dessert has to be sufficiently chilled before it is cut into bars.
But, me being me, I’ve never denied that patience has never been one of my virtues, I cut the dessert before it was completely chilled. But I have a good excuse — I wanted to take photos of the peaches and cream cheese cookie bars before the sun went down. You know, a garden shot with natural lighting. Just so you know — the bars look better structured, with less crumbling, if cut after several hours of chilling.
It starts with butter cookie dough.
A third of the dough is spread on the bottom of a baking dish.
Cream cheese, egg and sugar are mixed for the cheese layer.
The peaches are sliced (you can skip this if using sliced canned peaches). The peach slices are spread over the cookie dough.
The cream cheese mixture is poured over the peaches.
And the remaining cookie dough is dropped by spoonfuls on top of the cream cheese.
Half an hour later, the peaches and cream cheese cookie bars are done. Chill before cutting.
Based on Peachy Keen Bars.
- 1 and ½ c. of all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. of baking powder
- ½ tsp. of salt
- ¾ c. of butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 1 and ⅛ c. of vanilla sugar*
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 can of peach halves**, drained
- 1 250 g. block of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ⅓ c. of vanilla sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 7" x 11" pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and 1 and ⅛ cups of sugar until light in texture.
- Add one egg to the butter-sugar mixture and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until blended. That’s your cookie dough which you’ll use for the top and bottom of this dessert.
- Take a third of the dough and spread evenly on the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.
- Mix together the softened cream cheese, remaining egg and ⅓ c. of sugar until smooth.
- Slice the peaches. Scatter the peach slices evenly on the semi-baked dough.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the peaches.
- Take the remaining dough and drop by teaspoonfuls on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Return the baking pan into the oven and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Cool then chill. If you can wait.
- Cut and indulge. The peaches and cream cheese cookie bars are so good!
**You can use sliced peaches which will really make things simpler but I had peach halves so I had to slice them.