Pan-grilled chicken and vegetables with pesto
So, now I can confidently post another recipe. The blog went offline for a few hours yesterday afternoon (an issue about incompatible plugins that made the server crash repeatedly), I was aware that people were seeing “forbidden” when they tried to access any page of the site but it took time fixing things. Some of the messages from concerned readers were so cute and that helped me retain some sense of humor during the tense four hours when the tech support at Liquidweb repeatedly tried to revive the server.
Cute messages? Did I say “cute”? Yes. For instance, and this is my favorite:
Miss Connie! Help!!!! I can’t access your web page. Error 403 forbidden to access server. Did i do something wrong?
Aaawww… I don’t block people unless they’re spammers, trolls or plain assholes. And the reader who sent me that note on Facebook is definitely not a spammer, a troll nor an asshole. Of course, I assured her that it was a technical problem and that it had been fixed. But it sure feels good to know that the blog will be missed if it disappears. That’s heart-warming.
So, anyway, back to food blogging.
While one daughter is vegetarian, the other is notoriously picky with the vegetables that she puts in her mouth. Don’t get me wrong — Alex does eat vegetables but only certain vegetables. And, like me, she is no fan of raw vegetable salad. It’s a mouth feel issue, I think. Sam having gone back to the condo a day ahead, there was only Alex’s preference to consider when I cooked a late lunch yesterday (Speedy eats anything except lomi). She loves chicken, she loves pesto, and squash ranks among her most favorite veggies. So, I combined all three to make this dish. And, yes, she ate very heartily.
Recipe: Pan-grilled chicken and vegetables with pesto
- Pound the chicken lightly to flatten a bit. It’ll help cook the fillets faster. Then, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick pan (a cast iron pan would be even better). Arrange the chicken in a single layer, skin side down, and cook over medium-high heat until the skin is lightly crisp and browned. Flip to brown the opposite side.
- While the chicken grills in the pan, cook the squash and chayote in about a half cup of water with some salt. Don’t use too much water. You just want the veggies to cook in the steam. Do this while the chicken cooks so that the chicken and the veggies will be done at about the same time.
- Transfer the veggies with whatever little liquid is left to a bowl. Keep hot.
- Cut the chicken into strips.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Saute the onion and tomatoes for about a minute. Add the cooked vegetables (including any liquid), chicken and pesto. Toss lightly and cook just until everything is heated through and every piece of vegetable and chicken is coated with pesto. Taste, add more lemon juice, if you prefer. Additional salt and pepper might be called for as well.
- Serve hot.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 3