Perhaps, I ought to declare this week as I Love Eggs! Week. After posting the Thai egg strips recipe, I remembered that I had this old recipe for omelet cupcakes but published (yes, probably mis-filed) in my other blog (and I’m pretty sure you’ve never seen it). So, I thought I’d move the recipe over here to make the I Love Eggs! Week experience complete.
Omelet cupcakes are mini-omelets baked in muffin pans. Not for eye candy (although they are supper pretty!) but to make them more portable and more convenient to handle. Moms who pack meals for school-aged children will understand. And cooks who like to bring unique dishes to picnics will understand as well.
- vegetable oil, for brushing
- 1 large onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil, for sautéing
- 6 eggs
- sardines in oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsps. of finely sliced onion leaves, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Lightly brush 10 cupcake tins with vegetable oil (I used silicone cups so I skipped this part).
- Chop the onion and bell peppers. Saute in vegetable oil until they start to turn soft, about 3 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Stir in the sardines, well-drained, (break them up to fit into the pans), some salt, pepper and the sautéed onion and bell peppers. Add some finely sliced onion leaves, if you like.
- Spoon the mixture into the oiled cupcake tins, about ⅘ full. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until firm and lightly browned.