You’ve probably tried combining coffee with chocolate. You might have tried adding nut-flavored syrup to your coffee. You might even have bought ground coffee mixed with ground nuts. But have you tried combining all three — coffee, chocolate and nuts — in one drink?
I did. I took a heaping teaspoonful of Nutella, dropped it into hot coffee, I heated the mixture in the microwave to make the Nutella stirrable, added just enough sugar to balance the flavor, then topped it with whipped cream drizzled with chocolate syrup. And that is my Nutella coffee.
For those still unfamiliar with Nutella, it is a hazelnut spread that includes cocoa powder among the ingredients. I’ve never used it as a sandwich filling but I’ve used it as a crepe filling and as topping for my self-frosting Nutella cupcakes. Now, Nutella goes into my coffee too.
- ¾ c. of strong freshly brewed coffee
- 1 heaping tsp. of Nutella
- sugar, to taste
- whipped cream
- chocolate syrup
- Pour the coffee into a mug that can go into the microwave.
- Drop the Nutella into the coffee.
- Heat in the microwave on HIGH for a minute.
- Stir until the Nutella is completely dissolved.
- Add sugar to taste.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup.
- Serve hot.