Have you ever found yourself in a situation when you have to serve a good-looking dessert but you have neither the time nor the multitude of ingredients that drop-dead gorgeous desserts often require? There’s a trick—use what you’ve got in your pantry. This no-bake fruit and cheese dessert, made by my daughter, Alex, was made with staples like fresh fruits, cream cheese, cream, sugar, butter and Graham crackers.
Okay, it’s “no-bake”… but, surely, there is some cooking required? No, none at all.
What fruits are good for making this dessert? Whatever you’ve got. Personally, I like fruits with a little tang in them to provide contrast with the sweetness of the Graham crackers and cream cheese mixture. Alex likes bananas and she just loves to pair it with caramel. There are no strict rules here—just let your imagination rule.
- 1 cup crushed Graham crackers
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 65 grams cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup whipped cream
- chopped or sliced fresh fruits
- salted caramel or your preferred syrup, to garnish (optional)
- Stir together the crushed Graham crackers, one tablespoon sugar and melted butter.
- Beat the cream cheese with the remaining quarter cup of sugar until fluffy. Fold in the whipped cream.
- Place a teaspoonful of the Graham cracker mixture into glasses.
- Drop in a tablespoonful or two of the cream cheese mixture (a piping bag will do a cleaner job).
- Top the cream cheese mixture with pieces of fresh fruit.
- Repeat the three layers.
- Add a final dollop of cream cheese mixture.
- Optionally, drizzle in salted caramel.
1. Chocolate syrup: Take equal amounts of chocolate and cream. Chop the chocolate. Heat the cream in the microwave just until bubbly. Stir in the chocolate until melted.
2. Fruit syrup: Stir jam and enough hot water to make the mixture pourable.