I love chocolate especially the mint-flavored ones. And I love coffee. Put those two favorites in one drink and I’m a happy person. Add some booze and I’ll probably get giggly. Add two kinds of booze then drop a candy cane into the mug to stir the coffee with and it is irresistible. Which was exactly what happened when I came across the minty mocha drink at Serious Eats yesterday. Irresistible. I just had to try making it.
I bought a box of candy canes with the intention of hanging them up on the Christmas tree. They were individually wrapped and well sealed and I thought that the ants would never know they’re there. But the ants found them right on the kitchen island even before I could hang them up the tree. The ants ate their way inside the box. Fortunately, I discovered them before they could start eating the individual wrappers of the candies. I threw out the box and into the fridge went the candy canes. We’ve been making drinks with them since. Speedy made a pink-colored cocktail drink with them the other day but it was too strong and I suggested we tweak it some more before posting the recipe on the blog.
Yesterday, I used more candy canes to make minty mocha. Want to try it? Here’s how I made mine.
- hot water
- 1 tsp. of cocoa powder, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- 1/2 c. of strong hot coffee
- 2 tbsps. of Kahlua
- 2 tbsps. of white creme de menthe
- whipped cream
- candy cane
- Pour half a cup of hot water into a mug.
- Stir in the cocoa powder and sugar.
- Pour in the coffee, Kahlua coffee liqueur and white creme de menthe. Stir.
- Top with whipped cream. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.
- Put in a candy cane and serve at once.
Preparation time: 3 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1