So, as I was saying… I’m experimenting on whether regular cake/cupcake recipes can be done in the microwave, period. Maybe just a matter of getting the setting and baking time right. And here’s the result of the first experiment.
I mixed a carrot cake batter using a recipe not meant for a regular oven. I poured the batter into three mugs, microwaved each for two minutes and voila! Delicious microwave carrot cupcakes.
Of course there is no frosting. I like serving my microwave cupcakes warm. Spread frosting on warm cake and the frosting will just turn runny and drippy. So I just sprinkled confectioner’s sugar on top of my microwave carrot cupcakes.
Recipe: Microwave carrot cupcakes
- 3/4 c. of grated carrots (don’t squeeze out the juice)
- 1/4 c. of dark brown sugar
- 1/4 c. of crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 c. of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c.
plusof white sugar
- 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 c. of oil (I used palm oil)
- 1/2 c. of chopped cashew nuts
- 1/2 c. of golden raisins
- Toss together the grated carrots and brown sugar.
- Put the oil, egg and white sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Beat together the oil, sugar and egg until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Mix until smooth.
- Fold in the crushed pineapple and the carrot-sugar-raisins mixture.
- Add the nuts and stir to blend.
- Divide the mixture among three mugs with a one-cup capacity.
- Cook in the microwave, one at a time, for two minutes on HIGH.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar (purely optional) and serve warm.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 2 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 3