It looks like the monsoon season is early this year. La Niña, they say. So, before the time of the mango ends, I want to enjoy them to the hilt in as many ways as I can. Philippine mangoes (or Manila mangoes, as they are known abroad) are incomparable, after all. Or so I’ve been told.
The classic margarita gets a facelift in this cocktail drink with the addition of very ripe and very sweet mangoes. Think of it as Mexico-meets-Southeast Asia in the best possible way.
Recipe: Mango Margarita
- 3 oz. of tequila
- 1 and 1/2 oz. of Triple Sec
- 3 oz. of freshly squeezed lime (or lemon) juice
- 4 oz. simple syrup (equal amounts of water and sugar heated together just until the sugar dissolves)
- 1 whole well-chilled ripe mango, stoned and diced
- 3 to 4 ice cubes
- Just put everything in the blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into salted glasses and serve.
For the salt around the rim of the glass, take a small wedge of lime or lemon and run around the rim of the glass to wet it.
Place finely chopped mint leaves and salt in a saucer, and dip the glass rim in the mixture.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2