Whenever I cooked fried rice in the past, I always seasoned the eggs with salt and pepper. Then, I came across a Japanese recipe where the eggs were seasoned with soy sauce, salt and sugar. And my world of fried rice suddenly became bigger. The eggs in this rice with scrambled eggs and asparagus were seasoned not only with soy sauce, salt and sugar but with a bit of sesame seed oil too. And for even added flavor, I cooked the eggs in a mixture of sesame seed oil and palm oil.
Why? What difference does it make? Soy sauce and salt are both salty, so, whether you add one or other other, the eggs still get salted.
Well, the thing is, soy sauce is more than just about saltiness. The fermentation process, especially in the case of good quality soy sauce which takes a long time to ferment, adds a richness and depth to the saltiness of the sauce. But it’s something you need to try to understand.
Just beat the eggs with soy sauce, salt, sugar and a few drops of sesame seed oil.
Heat a mixture of sesame seed oil and palm oil (or your regular cooking oil) in a pan and cook the eggs in it.
Why not just sesame seed oil? The flavor will be too strong and that’s not a good thing. You don’t want the natural flavor of the eggs to get overpowered by the sesame seed oil. You want it enhanced instead.
Scoop out the cooked eggs, add more oil and cook the asparagus.
Add the rice and stir fry until heated through.
Throw the cooked eggs back in, toss a few times and you have your Japanese-style rice with scrambled eggs and asparagus.
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- sesame seed oil
- 2 tablespoons palm oil (or your regular cooking oil)
- a bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups cold cooked rice
- pepper, to taste
- Beat the eggs with the soy sauce, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon sugar and a few drops of sesame seed oil.
- Heat one tablespoon of palm oil with a tablespoon of sesame seed oil. Pour in the eggs and cook over low heat with non-stop stirring until barely set and still wet. Scoop out and set aside.
- Add the remaining palm oil to the pan and heat.
- Stir fry the asparagus for a minute or so (the actual cooking time depends on how young or mature the asparagus).
- Add the rice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir fry until the rice is heated through.
- Add the eggs to the rice. Toss to blend.
- Serve the Japanese-style rice with scrambled eggs and asparagus at once.