How to cook vegetarian tapsilog
For Filipinos who know what a comfort food tapsilog is, and knowing how hard it is to turn one’s back on comfort food, well, here is a way to go meatless and still enjoy tapsilog. How? Soy-based vegetarian “beef”, lightly pan-fried, shredded, then cooked with seasonings and aromatics. Serve with egg (Sam is ovo-lacto vegetarian so eggs are not a problem) and rice and enjoy.
Recipe: Vegetarian tapsilog
- 3 tbsps. of vegetable cooking oil
- 12 to 15 pcs. of soy-based vegetarian “beef” chunks
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. of paprika
- 1/2 tsp. of chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp. of ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- sugar, to taste
- Heat 2 tbsps. of cooking oil in a pan. Add the vegetarian “beef” chunks in a single layer. Cook just until lightly browned, flipping them over to brown evenly.
- Cool for a few minutes then shred by hand.
- Heat the remaining cooking oil in a pan. Add the garlic, onion and chili flakes. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add the shredded vegetarian “beef”. Stir in the paprika. Season with salt (the vegetarian “beef” is already seasoned so go easy on the salt) and a bit of sugar for balance. Sweet and spicy really go together well. If the vegetarian “beef” appears dry (it is fatless, after all), add about 2 tbsps. of water to moisten it and to make the blending of flavors easier.
- Serve the vegetarian tapa with rice and egg.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 3