I’ve noticed that many readers simply wait for updates via Facebook, Twitter, RSS or newsletter to view the latest recipes in the blog. What they don’t realize is that there’s so much more in the archives. This is a ten-year-old web site, after all. Which reminds me — the web site turned ten years old a week ago and the date came and went like any other. It has gone through three different content management systems, from Movable Type to Expression Engine to WordPress, and at least three domain name changes. And it’s still here.
So, I’m in the mood to sort of look back, dig into the archives, and highlight a few of my favorites. This herbed chicken soup with assorted beans recipe was originally published on November 7, 2007. It’s as good today as it was then. And it’ll be just as good ten years from now.
You have to read an older post to get an idea about the beans and peppercorns I used to make my soup. Of course, it isn’t absolutely necessary to use assorted beans. You can go with just one kind or a combination of two. Assorted peppercorns aren’t a must either. Black peppercorns are the only widely available kind in Philippine markets but let that not serve as a limitation. I’ve been cooking with black peppercorns for decades and they are just great.
This recipe will yield enough soup for six to eight people. If you feel that’s too much, you can always use half as much, or even less, of every ingredient.
Recipe: Herbed chicken soup with assorted beans
- about 400 grams of uncooked (dry) beans
- 1 whole chicken, about 1 kilo in weight
- 1 large onion
- 1 whole garlic
- 10 large tomatoes
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. of dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. of ground oregano
- a teaspoonful of peppercorns
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Wash the beans. Soak in water overnight. Gay posted a comment in the previous entry that if you add baking soda to dry beans, you can do with a few hours of soaking. Cook the beans in simmering water for about an hour and a half or until tender.
- Place the chicken in a large deep pot, cover with water, add the whole garlic, onion, tomatoes, bay leaf, peppercorns, rosemary, oregano and salt. Bring to the boil, remove the scum as it rises, lower the heat, cover and simmer for an hour to an hour and a half.
- Remove the chicken, garlic, onion and tomatoes from the broth. Cool. Discard the bay leaves. Debone the chicken. Do not flake the meat; rather, tear them into fairly large pieces. See the photo above to get an idea.
- Peel and mash the garlic, onion and tomatoes. Return everything to the pot, add the cooked beans (including the liquid in which they cooked), add more salt if necessary, bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. That’s it. You’ve got yourself a great hearty soup. Garnish with chopped parsley, if you wish, just before serving. Accompanied by bread, this herbed chicken and beans soup is a complete meal.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 2 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6 to 8