Vegan grilled eggplants with miso sauce
A very Asian-inspired vegetarian eggplant dish chock-full of flavors. It can be served as an appetizer, a side dish, a snack or even as a light main dish. So easy to make. The only cooking required is to grill the eggplants. After that, it’s all a matter of assembly.
Because the eggplants are not seasoned, all the flavors of this dish are derived from the sauce. I recommend miso paste. Miso paste comes in many varieties and colors, choose whichever you prefer. What I really wouldn’t recommend is the local coarse-grained miso sold in wet markets. For two reasons. First, you can’t make a smooth sauce with the coarse-grained miso. Second, the local miso needs cooking and the sauce that goes with this dish is not cooked but simply mixed.
Recipe: Grilled eggplants with miso paste
- Grill the eggplants. You can do this on the stove top, on a charcoal grill or in the oven.
- When the eggplants are done, peel off the skins. Cut off the tops and discard.
- Cut the peeled eggplants into two-inch lengths. Arrange on a plate.
- Make the sauce. Place the miso paste in a small bowl. Pour in 2 tbsps. of boiling water. Stir to make a smooth paste. Stir in the garlic. Season with enough soy sauce to suit your taste. Lastly, stir in the sesame seed oil.
- Using a teaspoon, drizzle the sauce over and around each eggplant.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and scallions before serving.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2