If you like Southern style fried chicken, here is a recipe that gives it a totally Asian twist by seasoning the chicken with spices indigenous to Asia. And, instead of buttermilk, coconut milk is substituted. The chicken is then fried in cooking oil flavored with coriander seeds, ginger and lemongrass. Voila! Fried chicken with Asian spices. While the texture is the same as traditional Southern style fried chicken, the aroma, color and flavors are totally different.
Some people like their fried chicken without breading; others prefer to enjoy it with a coating of flour, bread crumbs, corn meal or even crushed corn flakes, Southern style. If you don’t care about the breading but simply want fried chicken with crispy skin, omit the step about dredging the marinated chicken in flour and cornmeal.
The cooking process starts with marinating the chicken. Overnight.
Flavor the oil with spices.
Flour the chicken and fry.
- 1 kilo chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 1 and ½ tablespoons curry powder
- 1 and ½ tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup flour mixed with 2 tbsps. of yellow corn meal
- a few stalks of lemongrass, bruised
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- a thumb-sized piece of ginger, sliced
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
- Place the chicken pieces in a bowl. Add the curry powder, garlic powder, chili powder and salt. Mix well. Cover and keep overnight in the fridge.
- Add the coconut milk to the chicken. Cover and let steep for an hour.
- Meanwhile start cooking your rice.
- Pour the cooking oil into the frying pan (a wok works best). Turn on the heat. Add the ginger, lemongrass and coriander. Cook over low heat for about five minutes to flavor the oil (the aroma at this point will already whet your appetite and that’s just cooking oil you’re smelling!).
- Scoop out the ginger, coriander seeds and lemongrass and turn up the heat to medium high.
- Drain the chicken. Your rice should be nearly done at this point. Pour the marinade over the rice and continue cooking until done. Trust me, the rice will be delicious.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour-cornmeal mixture; shake off the excess. Fry the chicken in two batches, about five minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve your fried chicken with Asian spices with the flavored rice. And don’t forget the cucumber, chili and tomato salad.