How do I describe these sweet nuggets? Two layers of butter cookies — firm and compact underneath, and crumbly on top — and, in between, a generous layer of homemade dulce de leche lightly sprinkled with sea salt. At first bite, you get the crunch of the bottom later and the loose crumbs on top. Then, as your teeth sinks into the bar, the soft and creamy sensation that is the dulce de leche lightly explodes, leaving a trace of gooey sweetness on your lips. What’s not to love?
The idea is Sam’s. She gave me a cookbook for my birthday last year and from that cookbook, I made toffee squares. Sam said we should substitute dulce de leche for the toffee. And, my goodness, the substitution transformed the cookies from good to best without going through the better stage.
Recipe: Dulce de leche cookie bars
- 250 g. of butter (about a cup), softened to room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 2/3 c. of white sugar
- 2 and 1/2 c. of all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. of instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 can of homemade dulce de leche, warm
- 1 tbsp. of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 7″x11″ pan then line with baking paper. Grease the baking paper as well.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder directly over the bowl with the butter and sugar. Mix to combine. The dough will have the appearance of pea-sized crumbs.
- Stir in the coffee granules.
- Divide the cookie dough into two portions, one slightly more than the other.
- Take the larger portion of the cookie dough and press firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread the dulce de leche over the cookie dough. Sprinkle the salt on the dulce de leche.
- Scatter the remaining portion of the dough on top of the dulce de leche making sure that the dulce de leche is completely covered.
- Bake at 375F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool before cutting into bars or squares.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12 bars or 18 squares