Sometimes, a “same old, sale old” dish becomes something spectacular with just the right accessory. Take fried chicken, for instance… Although most people think there is nothing boring about fried chicken, it sure can get a lift. And this side dish of creamed broccoli does a stunning job. Not only is it a side dish, it also provides a rich sauce for any fried, grilled or broiled dish.
What’s in this creamed broccoli side dish? Broccoli, of course, and cream. But between the two, a few extras.
Recipe: Creamed broccoli
- 4 tbsps. of butter
- 1/4 c. of chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 c. of roughly chopped bell peppers
- 4 c. of broccoli florets
- 1 c. of cream
- Heat the butter in a frying pan. Add the chopped onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until the onion caramelizes.
- Add the peppers and broccoli florets. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes, tossing often, just until the broccoli florets are done.
- Pour in the cream. Cook just until the cream turns bubbly.
- Serve alongside your fried, grilled or broiled meat or seafood.
- Since I have a vegetarian daughter, I served the creamed broccoli in two ways. For vegetarian Sam, I spooned the creamed broccoli over grilled eggplants. For Speedy, Alex and myself, I ladled it on one side of a platter with sliced fried chicken fillets on the opposite side.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4