One of my favorite musicals of all time, Nine, was on Star Movies last night. I got LSS as usual. I was humming “Be Italian” (sung by Fergie) and “Cinema Italiano” (sung by Kate Hudson), both partly featured in the credits, all morning.
By noon, perspiring from the summer heat, I decided it was just the perfect time to make a granita.
Granita is a semi-frozen dessert of Italian origin. It can be rather coarse or smooth, depending on which region of Italy it hails from. When smooth, it is a close relative of the sorbet.
This is coffee flavored granita. No ice cream maker or other specialty tools needed. Just a freezer and a small container that can go into it.
- 1/2 c. of sugar
- 1 and 1/2 c. of strong brewed coffee
- Make a syrup.
- Place the sugar in a pan. Pour in a cup of water. Boil until the sugar dissolves. Cool.
- When the syrup has cooled, pour in the coffee. Stir.
- Pour the mixture into a container that can go into the freezer. Cover and freeze for an hour.
- When the mixture is semi-solid, scrape with a fork. Stir briskly (a wire whisk, if you like a smooth granita; a fork, if you prefer a coarse granita). Do this every 30 to 45 minutes, four to five times.
- When you’re happy with the texture of your granita, serve and enjoy.
Preparation time: about 3 hours
Number of servings (yield): 2
P.S. If you’re wondering about the eggs beside the demitasse, click here.
P.P.S. If you’re wondering about the musical Nine, here are the videos of “Be Italian” and “Cinema Italiano.”