Cinnamon-sugar rolled coffee muffins
I remember posting a coffee cake recipe once and a reader objecting that it wasn’t a coffee cake because there was no coffee among the ingredients. Just so I don’t get a similar complaint in this post, a coffee cake is a cake that is meant to be served with coffee. In the same manner, there are such things as coffee breads and coffee muffins. Depending on how you intend to serve a cake, bread or muffins, anything can be classified as a coffee cake, a coffee bread or a coffee muffin.
That said, I got the recipe for these delicious muffins from Andie, the blogger behind Can You Stay For Dinner? who described them as “a dead ringer for an old fashioned cake donut.” Now, I don’t know what a “cake donut” is, I’ve made donuts with yeast and these muffins are definitely nothing like those donuts. These are more like the baked apple donuts with cinnamon and nutmeg. The difference is that the baked apple donuts were made with butter, these cinnamon-sugar rolled coffee muffins were made with vegetable oil. Both, however, were dunked in melted butter after baking. Both are delicious.
Recipe: Cinnamon-sugar rolled coffee muffins
- 1 and 3/4 c. of all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1/3 c. of vegetable oil, plus 1 tbsp. of greasing the pans
- 3/4 c. of white sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c. of milk (I used non-fat)
For the coating:
- 1/4 c. of butter, melted
- 1/3 c. of white sugar stirred with 1 tbsp. of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Brush the holes of a muffin pan with vegetable oil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, sugar, milk and egg.
- Make a well at the center of the flour mixture, pour in the wet ingredients and stir just until smooth.
- Pour into the oiled muffin pans (see the trick for making uniform-sized muffins). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Take the muffins out of the oven. Working carefully so that you don’t burn your hands, run a thin knife around the muffins to loosen them.
- Dunk each muffin in the melted butter making sure that every inch of the surface is coated with the butter.
- Roll the wet muffins in the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- And then eat the muffins while still warm. We didn’t even have time to make coffee. We just went ahead and ate.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 9 to 12, depending on the size of your muffin pans