First, you have to have the spinach puree cooked in coconut milk. The rest is just basic cooking. Simple with such a delightful outcome — a rich soup in more ways than one. Rich in color, rich in flavor and rich in texture. It’s such a versatile soup too because you can change the combination of vegetables each time you make it.
I topped my soup with shaved parmesan cheese. Because I love cheese. And because I’m of that school that believes cheese can make 99% of all dishes better. If you’re vegan, just omit the cheese and the soup is transformed from lacto-vegetarian to vegan.
Recipe: Chunky spinach soup
- 2 tbsps. of vegetable cooking oil
- 1/2 c. of chopped onion
- a pinch of minced garlic
- 1 c. of diced carrot
- 1/2 c. of cooked beans (whatever variety)
- 1/2 c. of sweet corn kernels (canned is okay)
- about 6 c. of broth (use vegetable broth if you’re vegan)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 c. of diced zucchini
- 1/2 to 3/4 c. of spinach puree and coconut milk paste
- chopped parsley
- shaved Parmesan (unless you’re vegan)
- Heat the cooking oil in a thick-bottomed pot. Sweat the onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the carrot, beans and corn.
- Pour in the broth. Add salt and pepper, as needed, depending on how well seasoned the broth is. Just remember that the spinach paste that you will be adding later is also salted so go easy on the seasonings at this point.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, set the heat to low, cover the pot and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini.
- Stir in the spinach paste.
- Simmer the soup for another 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Off the heat, stir in some chopped parsley.
- Top with shaved cheese (optional but recommended) and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4 to 6