Chocolate chip cookie dough brownies
Although the fierce heat of the summer still rages, I have managed to sufficiently psych myself out of my lethargy. I’ve started cooking decent meals again a couple of days ago. Meanwhile, the baking drought ended last night.
The decision to bake something was inspired by a photo. Chocolate chip cookie dough was pressed into the holes of a muffin pan, whole rounds of Reese’s peanut butter cups were pressed into the dough then prepared brownie mix was poured over everything. Brilliant idea, if you ask me, combining two wonderful things — chocolate chip cookies and brownies — into one glorious concoction.
But instead of using ready-made cookie dough and boxed brownie mix, I started from scratch using no-fail recipes for chocolate chip cookies and chocolate fudge brownies. I simply adjusted the amounts and ditched the nuts (next time, I will include nuts in the chocolate chip cookie dough). I didn’t use Reese’s peanut butter cups either because there was none in the house. Instead, I dropped pinches of chocolate chip cookie dough on top of the brownie mix. The result is a layered and marbled chocolate-y goodness.
Recipe: Chocolate chip cookie dough brownies
For the chocolate chip cookie dough:
- 125 g. of butter at room temperature
- 3/4 c. of sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 c. of chocolate morsels
For the chocolate fudge brownie mix:
- 250 g. of dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 125 g. of butter, cut into small pieces, plus 1 tsp. for greasing the pan
- 1 and 1/2 c. of sugar
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 c. of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. of coffee granules
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease a 7″ x 11″ pan and line with a sheet of aluminum foil or parchment paper which should be large enough to leave overhangs on all sides to make lifting the cooked baked product easily.
- Make the chocolate cookie dough.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg. Beat until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture. Mix until smooth. Stir in the chocolate morsels. The cookie dough will be soft but not runny.
- Divide the cookie dough into three portions.
- Spread two-thirds on the lined baking pan.
- Chill the remaining one-third.
- Make the brownie mix.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a large glass mixing bowl. Heat in the microwave, at MEDIUM heat, for three to four minutes or until softened. Alternatively, use a double boiler and melt over hot water. Beat the chocolate and butter until smooth. Cool.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add the sugar and salt. Mix.
- Add the flour and coffee granules. Mix until smooth.
- Pour on top of the chocolate cookie dough.
- Take the chilled chocolate cookie dough out of the fridge. Drop by pinches on top of the brownie mix.
- Put the baking pan in the oven and bake for an hour to an hour and a half. Check after an hour for doneness by piercing the center with a toothpick of skewer.
- Cool the baked slab completely in the pan (I cooled it overnight at room temperature) before cutting into squares or rectangles.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 60 to 90 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8