How do I love chili? Let me count the ways… with buttered garlic bread, with soft tortillas, with corn bread and with rice. Yes, rice. And egg. Like this.
I made the chili last Friday for lunch. It was Speedy’s birthday and his request? Chili dog sandwiches. I made way too much chili for two sandwiches so we were picking on the leftover days afterward. Yesterday, I was alone in the house and I had chili for brunch. As expected, like any stew, the chili tasted better after so many days in the fridge.
This is really a cooking with leftovers recipe which presumes that you already have your cooked chili. If, however, you want to make chili and serve it like this, you can find two recipes for chili in the archive — one with ground beef and the chunkier version made with cubed beef. I like the chunkier version better but it does entail more work.
- 1/2 to 3/4 c. of chunky chili con carne
- 1 fried egg
- hot rice
- 3 scallions (onion leaves), finely sliced
- toasted garlic bits
- The key to this dish is to make sure that everything is hot.
- Spoon hot rice on a plate.
- Add the hot chili on top (or beside) the rice.
- Top with the fried egg.
- Sprinkle the scallions and toasted garlic bits on top.
- Dig and and have a great meal!
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1