When a meal consists of nothing but a sandwich, then, it had better be a hell of a sandwich — filling, tasty and bursting with texture. This chicken parmigiana sandwich fits the bill perfectly. We had bagels so I used bagels. The chicken filling was cooked with Parmesan, topped with mozzarella and more Parmesan and, between the chicken and the cheeses, a generous slather of thick tomato sauce. And, between the bottom half of the bagel and the chicken, my favorite salad green — arugula. Darn good sandwich. It really deserves an encore.
How to make the sandwich?
First you need to make the Parmesan-crusted chicken fried steak. One chicken thigh (or half a breast, if that’s your thing) fillet for every sandwich. Then, top it with tomato sauce and cheese, heat to melt the cheese and the rest is a matter of assembly.
A note about the tomato sauce. I like to make my own but store-bought is fine too. However, you may want to add some flavors to the tomato sauce before you spread it on the chicken fried steaks. I suggest sauteeing chopped onion, garlic and oregano in a little olive oil then pouring in the store-bought tomato sauce. Season with salt, pepper and a bit of sugar for balance. Simmer for five minutes and that’s it! Of course, this step is optional but if you have the time, well, why not? The extra step is worth it.
- 2 Parmesan-crusted chicken fried steaks
- 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- slices of mozzarella and Parmesan
- 2 bagels (or your bread of choice), toasted
- arugula or lettuce
- Place the cooked Parmesan-crusted chicken fried steaks in a hot pan.
- Slather the tomato sauce on top.
- Arrange the cheese slices over the tomato sauce, cover the pan and, over low heat, let the tomato sauce get heated through which should be just enough time to melt the cheese. A minute, really, so long as the pan is hot.
- Then, assemble the sandwiches. Cover the bottom with greens, place the chicken and everything on it on top of the greens, cover with the top half of the bread and enjoy.