Cheddar and scallion muffins
Can scone dough be transformed into muffin batter and yield delicious muffins? In the case of these cheddar and scallion muffins, the answer is a resounding yes.
I really intended to make scones but, there I was measuring and mixing, and I found myself staring at the amount of bowls and measuring tools I’d have to wash. And I still have to knead the scone dough? Never mind. What I wanted was simple enough — good food — and after mixing all the ingredients, the mixture looked like a very good muffin batter so I decided that the scones would be muffins instead.
Based on a recipe from Serious Eats.
Recipe: Cheddar and scallion muffins
- 1 c. of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp. of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 4 tbsps. of sugar
- 1/4 c. of butter, chilled
- 1/2 c. of shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
- 4 tbsps. of finely sliced scallions
- 1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/8 c. of cream
- 1/8 c. of milk
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line eight holes of a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Cut the cold butter into 1/4-inch pieces, add to flour and cut in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. You can do this with a pasty cutter, two knives or your bare hands. Work quickly so that the butter does not melt.
- Add the cheddar and scallions to the flour and toss to combine.
- Make a well at the center of the flour mixture. Drop in the egg and egg yolk. Pour in the cream and milk. Mix just until combined, about ten to twelve strokes. Do not overmix so that the muffins will come out light rather than tough and dense.
- Drop the muffin batter into the holes of the prepared pan, about 4/5 full. An ice cream scoop is useful.
- Pop into the oven. Bake at 400F for five minutes. Lower the temperature to 350F and continue baking for another 20 minutes or until the toothpick inserted at the center of the muffins come out clean.
- Best served warm, these light savory muffins are subtly sweet, perfectly offsetting the saltiness of the sharp cheddar cheese.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8