When Sam found bags of Reese’s peanut butter morsels at Rustan’s Supermarket (Shangri-La Plaza) last Sunday, she insisted we buy one. I’m a huge fan of Reese’s chocolate peanut butter candies so it wasn’t hard to convince me.
Sam had a favor to ask though — please don’t bake the morsels until she came back home the following weekend. Sorry, baby, but I wanted to bake something for Daddy’s birthday (that’s today) and when I mentioned the idea of butterscotch brownies with peanut butter and dark chocolate morsels, well, he was smacking his lips like he could already taste it. But don’t worry because I used less than half of the peanut butter morsels.
Because I love nuts in my brownies, I added chopped roasted pecans to the batter. Of course, you’re free to substitute some other nut — walnuts, cashew nuts and, yes, peanuts, should be just as good.
- 1 and 1/2 c. of all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 c. of butter, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 c. of dark brown sugar
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1/2 c. of peanut butter morsels
- 1/2 c. of dark chocolate morsels
- 1/2 c. of roasted chopped pecans
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- pinch of orange zest (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 7? x 11? baking pan with baking paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, orange zest and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture in three batches, mixing after each addition.
- Fold in the nuts, peanut butter morsels and dark chocolate morsels.
- Pour into the prepared pan (the batter will be heavy), scraping the sides of the mixing bowl. Smoothen the top for even thickness.
- Bake at 350F for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool some more.
- Cut into two-inch squares.
I don’t usually mention brands unless the brand can make or break a recipe. This is one such exception.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12