Baked eggs with ham, greens and cheese
If you’re looking for a new way to serve eggs, this is something to try. Not that baked eggs is anything new. I’ve done something like this in the past — eggs, longganisa (native sausages), spinach and cheese — although the technique was more of a novelty rather than something I wanted to repeat often especially during the summer when turning on the oven doesn’t seem like a good idea at all.
But I was craving for a good egg dish yesterday, I wanted something not too ordinary so I made this baked eggs dish with ham and finely sliced greens. Topped with cheese, of course. And drizzled with Sriracha before serving.
The added value of the dish? You can prepare this for several people all at once. No need to fry or poach eggs one by one. Just crack them into single-serve ramekins, add whatever you’d like, season and pop into a preheated oven. They will all get cooked at the same time and everyone can have a hot meal.
You can use any cheese and any greens that you prefer. You can also use bacon instead of ham but you will have to cook the bacon before putting them in the ramekins with the eggs.
Recipe: Baked eggs with Bulgogi ham
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Smear the bottom and sides of two ramekins with the softened butter.
- Crack two eggs directly into each ramekin.
- Sprinkle the eggs with a bit of pepper and salt. Not too much because the ham and cheese are both salty.
- Scatter the ham, greens and cheese around the eggs.
- Drizzle the cream over the greens.
- Sprinkle the crisp onion slices on top.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes for runny yolks; longer if you want the yolks to be firm.
- Drizzle with Sriracha before serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2