Breakfast pancakes have often been associated with sweet things. Chopped fruits or whole berries are sometimes stirred into the batter. Before serving, syrup is drizzled over them and the pancakes get smothered with more sweetness.
But pancakes can be savory and be just as delicious and comforting. It’s true. Make your pancake batter, stir in bacon, bell peppers and scallions, then cook as usual. Instead of the traditional sweet syrup, pour melted cheese over them. Oooh, they’re really good.
Recipe: Bacon and pepper pancakes
- about 75 g. of bacon, cut into strips
- 1/4 c. of chopped bell pepper
- 2 tbsps. of sliced scallions
- 1 c. of all-purpose flour (do not press into the measuring cup)
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 2 tsps. of sugar
- 2 tsps. of baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 c. of milk
- 3 tbsps. of melted butter
For the cheese topping:
- 1 c. of grated cheese (any soft cheese should melt well but mozzarella is not recommended for this recipe)
- 3 to 4 tbsps. of milk
- Heat a non-stick pan. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat until a little fat has been rendered. Add the chopped bell pepper and scallions. Cook, stirring for about a minute. Transfer the mixture to a plate and cool.
- While the bacon mixture cools, make the pancake batter.
- Stir together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg and milk.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour in the melted butter and fold in.
- Add the bacon mixture to the batter.
- Stir lightly to combine.
- Reheat the pan (where some bacon fat goodness still covers the bottom) and start cooking the pancakes. Click here for tips.
- You should be able to make about eight pancakes with the ingredients given above.
- For the topping, stir together the grated cheese and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for about two minutes or just until the cheese is soft enough to be stirred into a thick, smooth sauce.
- Stack the pancakes and pour some cheese sauce over them. If you want added depth of flavor, color and texture, sprinkle with more sliced scallions and a little cayenne.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8