I’ve been making ice cream for months now and I’ve always followed the basic recipe for making the custard base — egg yolks, sugar, cream and whole milk. A couple of days ago, on a whim, I decided to replace the sugar and part of the whole milk with sweetened condensed milk. The result was absolutely delightful — the ice cream tasted like leche flan (custard or creme caramel for non-Filipinos).
Thinking that I could go a step farther, I divided the ice cream into two portions. The first portion is the plain a la leche flan ice cream. By plain, I don’t mean plain-tasting as it was anything but. Rather, I mean I added nothing else.
To the second portion, I stirred in homemade applesauce and chopped toasted walnuts. My golly gee, I never thought ice cream could taste so good.
- 6 egg yolks
- 500 ml. of cream
- 250 ml. of whole milk
- 250 ml. of sweetened condensed milk
- sugar (optional)
- ½ c. of applesauce (store-bought or homemade)
- ½ c. of chopped toasted walnuts
- Lightly beat the egg yolks in a large bowl.
- Pour the cream, sweetened condensed milk and whole link into a pan. Heat just until bubbles form along the edges.
- Pour half of the cream mixture into the egg yolks, stirring as you pour.
- Pour the egg-cream mixture into the pan. Cook over medium heat just until the mixture coats the back of the spoon. DO NOT cook for too long to prevent curdling.
- Cool the custard. Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Process the custard base in the ice cream maker per manufacturer’s directions. Add the nuts during the last five minutes of processing.
- When the ice cream is done, and while it is in soft-serve stage, divide into two portions. Place one portion into a freezer container and freeze for a couple of hours. Take the second portion, spread half on the bottom of a large wide freezer container. Drop dollops of applesauce on top.
- Cover with the remaining half of the ice cream. Drop more dollops of applesauce on top.
- Using a blunt thin knife, cut through the ice cream in zigzag motion to create coarse marbled patterns. Cover the container and freeze for a couple of hours.
- This applesauce and walnut ice cream needs no dressing up. Just scoop, drop into cones and enjoy.