Apple and blueberry pancakes
If adding fresh fruits to pancake batter is good, adding spices to the fruits before stirring into the batter is even better. Take these pancakes, for instance. They smelled and tasted like apple pie. The trick? A little cinnamon and nutmeg. The blueberries are a bonus.
Recipe: Cinnamon apple and blueberry pancakes
- 1 tart apple (like Granny Smith), peeled and cut into half-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp. of sugar
- 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. of nutmeg
- 1 c. of all-purpose flour (do not press into the measuring cup)
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 2 tsps. of sugar
- 2 tsps. of baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 c. of milk
- 3 tbsps. of melted butter
- 1/3 c. of blueberries (if using frozen, thaw and drain them well)
- Toss the apple with the 1 tbsp. of sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg and milk.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour in the melted butter and fold in.
- Fold the apples (including juices) into the pancake batter.
- Very carefully fold in the blueberries. Gently, so that they don’t bleed into the batter.
- Cook the pancakes — click here for tips.
- If you want your pancakes even sweeter, drizzle with honey.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8 pancakes